Tucson. I hope this is the last day we beat this dead horse.
In the past week, I have stayed away from TV and radio and most blog sites. At first it was because I was tied up with something else that needed my full attention. But as a the week wore on, I deliberately stayed away and only read an occasional piece in the NYTimes regarding the progress of Giffords’ recovery. And here is the result of my deliberate isolation from the media frenzy:
- We will probably never know the true extent of the poisonous atmosphere of Arizona politics on the shooter’s state of mind.
- Regardless of what anyone says to the contrary, the poisonous atmosphere of Arizona politics and general right wing media craziness can not be ruled out as a contributing factor. The little I know about the shooter’s word salad indicates that *something* had seeped in.
- Gabrielle Giffords is a politician and she is a Democrat. To suggest that politics had NOTHING to do with it is absurd.
- Regardless of whether or not the infamous Palin map had anything at all to do with the shooting, vandalism, red faced furious constituents getting in Giffords’ face during meetups or the general fear of being labeled a liberal or a Democrat in Arizona, the fact that the map was connected with her website as part of a campaign to “target” supporters of the healthcare reform bill is unbecoming and irresponsible for any politician on either side of the aisle. There is no excuse for that map. Oh, I can see a lot of people twisting themselves into pretzels trying to come up with one but give it up already. Have some standards.
- I don’t care if the left is going nuts on TV. I don’t watch TV news specifically because there’s too much histrionics. I don’t want my emotions to be manipulated. I advise readers here to turn the gasbags off.
- I’ve been critical of the way Obama’s campaign organization treated half his party during the 2008 campaign. I hated the way the media and DNC went along with it. It wasn’t enough that I was a liberal. No, I had to be called old, uneducated, a racist and then treated as if my vote didn’t count because I was a woman and I’d get with the program in the end anyway. His campaign tactics were an indication of the way he was to govern. He doesn’t care what voters really think and he feels comfortable ignoring us. That’s why I will NEVER vote for Barack Obama. I advise others to reject him as well. If you feel you have no other option, you don’t have a very high opinion of yourself.
- Sarah Palin doesn’t need our protection or support. She made that perfectly clear in her video. She has thrown her lot in with Glenn Beck. GLENN BECK, people. That’s who she gets her spiritual and political advice from these days. In case some of you have forgotten, it was Glenn and Rush and the whole Fox News establishment who has been pounding on liberals for the past 20 years to make sure we are afraid to say what we believe. The right is going to continue to pound on us because that is what they do. They hate us and want to make sure we don’t ever have a voice. I’m not going to hand Sarah a mallet. She is not our friend. She is what she is. That doesn’t make her a monster.
If the left wants to make it worse for itself, there’s not a whole lot I can do to stop it. I can’t control other people’s behavior, I can only control my own. I’m not joining on either bandwagon. I’ve had enough. I’m sick of being treated like an outcast by both parties.
If the right is so determined to exonerate Palin or the right wing media from the vitriol, they owe it to the rest of us to present evidence and a detailed study proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that their over the top, angry, irrational demonization of liberalism is not now or ever has been responsible for the intimidation of a group they have been trained to hate. Otherwise, I’m going to look at the fact that the right has cornered the media market in many states, including Arizona, and conclude that the hatred of liberals is correlated to that market share.
I’ve never seen so much denial in my life. The right was happy as all get out to stomp all over us before this shooting. If it really had nothing to do with it, and I’m not saying it did, why not just admit that it was fun while it lasted? Sarah and Glenn aren’t apologizing. Take credit for the poison. You deserve it!
But if you’re tired of it, like I am, turn off the TV and the radio. Step away from the fight. If you are an FDR type Democrat in Exile like me, this doesn’t have anything to do with you anyway. It’s just two anachronistic, legacy parties going at each other. It has very little to do with how people are living today. It won’t get more people employed, fix our crumbling infrastructure, punish the bankers or end a war. It is a major distraction.